Sunday, July 3, 2011

When I was granted Refugee status...

... It was in this day in history 36 ago, July 3rd 1975. At the Marines Corps Base Camp Pendleton, art of it transormed into Refugee Camp, , me my sister Tho and my 4 children Saravith, Sarado, Sarina and Saranimol we wre signed off and accepted as "parolees" and the then Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) after Mrs. Florence Richmond of Edmonds, WA accepted to sponsor us. We came from Utapao US Air Force Base in Thailand almost  amonth before, on June 6.
    We celebrated the frst Independence Day in the Camp and thansferred a day later in a transfit facility before flying a day after to Seattle WA to be resettled in Edmonds and later in Lynnwood, WA where we reside until now.
    Before escaping to Thailand, I loss contact with my wife, and my sister and my children were reunited with me few weeks later at the camp in Utapao. I was informed later that my wife was killed by the Khmer Rouge.

No comments:

Post a Comment