Wednesday, March 9, 2011

44. Top Diplomat to China

Today March 9, President Obama appoints his US Commerce Secretary Gary Locke as new US Ambassador to China. A Chinese American grand child of a Chinese immigrant who landed in America 100 years ago, Gary Locke was Governor of the Pacific Northwest state of Washington for two terms. When I worked for the State in the Refugee and Immigrant Assistance Program I met him in a few occasions. A great civil servant. Congratulations... with our best wishes.

When writing about this I am thinking of my friend Ambassador Sichan Siv:

Please read this email, it is about his appearance at the California's Nixon Library. The attached document (not shown) is a clip from the Cambodia Daily about his recent trip to Cambodia entitled: "The Stars and Moon align for Cambodian-American: Sichan Siv in town for Asean tourism forum, book unveiling and visit from friend."

From: SSiv
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2011 23:48:51 -0500
Subject: Stars/Nixon/Seattle
To: van_sar@msn.com


Dear Bang Van Sar,
Thanks again for your kind wishes.  I hope all's well with you.  I thought you might enjoy the story below on Jan. 20.  If able, please come to the Nixon Library on April 1, and spread the word.
My golden best,
Sichan

No comments:

Post a Comment